Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Flying and Airports

I decided today that I fly too much, mainly because four different times I had to tell people in the San Diego airport things they were doing wrong. Now, I know people don't fly or travel near as much as I do. I was not mad at these people, I just want them to not delay everyone else who is not scared, excited, nervous, happy, etc about flying. Below is my list of things that are common airport mistakes/helpful tips. Don't be that guy that business travelers hate.

1. Don't arrive 20 minutes before your flight and expect everyone to feel bad for you and let you cut. Now, I know things happen that make you late. Everyone is at the airport on a time schedule. Just get there an hour and a half beforehand and you and your bags will make it to your next destination.

2. Don't argue with the ticketing people at the counter, that lady who asks you if you have an e-ticket, or the flight attendants. They have to do things a certain way. You yelling won't help matters. Be polite, ask nicely, and all will be happy.

3. Wear slip on shoes through security. Take any jackets, sweatshirts, and belts off. Avoid the hassle.

4. Put your laptop in a bin by itself.

5. Keep your ID and boarding pass in an accessible area.

6. If at all possible, don't check baggage. I always do, and so far I've been lucky with not losing any, but it's so much easier if you don't.

7. When you pick up your luggage in your destination city, don't crowd around the conveyor belt and not let anyone else through. You are not the only one who wants your bag, and if I have to chase it down the belt because I couldn't get past you, I'm not going to be happy.

8. Dress in layers. First the plane is hot, then you're freezing, then you wish you had your sweatshirt to roll up as a pillow. Layer it up.

9. If you can't carry it, don't bring it. Unless you're moving to a new city, do you really need those four oversized bags that you are forced to kick and tie all together to the kiosk? No.

10. Continuing to ask the the employees at the gate if there are any updates on the progress of the plane does not make it come faster.

11. Listen when they make those announcements. It very often pertains to you. There is no reason not to know that your gate changed.

12. Make sure to have plenty of reading materials/Ipod/laptop/etc to keep you busy on the plane. Watching the back of the seat is no fun.

13. Always take the peanuts or snacks.

14. Be sure to know what time zone you are flying in and out of.

15. Weigh your bag before you go. Having to take 2 pounds out and shuffle it around after they weigh it is a pain. And, no one in line wants to see what you packed.

16. Don't chit chat with the person next to you unless you are sure they want to chitchat. If they have headphones on, are reading a book, avoiding eye contact, or give you one word answers, they don't care where you are going, why you are going there, or your life story. Deal with it.

17. Don't turn on your electronic devices until they tell you to. The flight attendants can see you. They are people with eyes. Your earbuds are not invisible. Also, don't completely ignore them when they do their safety demonstration. At least pretend like you care.

18. Go with the flow.

19. This one is my dad's addition: Don't use the back of the person's seat in front of you as a wall to hoist yourself up with. There is probably a person whose head is wobbling all around and they are too polite to say anything to you. Use those leg muscles. Oh, and if you are in the aisle seat, stand up and let those in the middle get through. Don't just scoot your legs in. It's uncomfortable for all involved.

Hope that helps you. Any other suggestions? I'll add more if I encounter them. Happy flying.

1 comment:

Beth Robie said...

I must say that I really enjoyed this post :) Thanks for that! And I agree with you completely.