Monday, February 2, 2009

Indianola, Iowa

Dubuque, Des Moines, Davenport, Marshalltown, Mason City, Keokuk, Ames, Clear Lake...
Ought to give Iowa a try! Or....not. Sorry for the Music Man reference, that's the only Iowa song I know and it keeps getting stuck in my head.

I am working in Indianola, Iowa and staying in Des Moines. After driving and driving through corn fields and finally reaching the Iowa border, and then driving and driving some more, I was very excited to see an actual city (Des Moines). But then, we went to work this morning, and welcome to small town Iowa. Corn fields, farm, tractors, and a senile old man telling Tom at lunch to stay away from me because I might hit him upside the head because females are ornery like that (we should say ornery more, it's an awesome word).

Staying at a Comfort Inn by the airport this week. It's nice, decent for a 2 star, free internet, pool, hot tub, nice free breakfast, good size rooms, comfy beds. Only complaint so far is no free conditioner, just shampoo and lotion. But, I should just keep a stash of small bottles of shampoo and conditioner I've collected along the way with me so I don't run into not having something.

Today I'll leave you with the prayer for "The Stranger Within Our Gates" that is laminated in the hotel room and sat on the dresser. It's a very nice thought for those of us who live the traveling lifestyle.

"May this room and this hotel be your 'second' home. May those you love be near you in thoughts and dreams. Even though we may not get to know you, we hope that you will be comfortable and happy as if you were in your own house. May the business that brought you our way prosper. May every call you make and every message you receive add to your joy. When you leave, may your journey be safe. We are all travelers. From birth till death, we travel between eternities. May these days be pleasant for you, profitable for society, helpful for those you meet, and a joy to those who know and love you best."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should try the Fairfield Inn and suites at the airport. Tell them Rob said to give you a good rate!!!

KBrock said...

I stayed at a Fairfield last week, it's pretty similar to this.

Beth Robie said...

Nice Music Man reference! Way to throw it back to freshman year of high school :) But anytime anyone mentions Iowa, I too get that song stuck in my head. A big ol' thanks to Meredith Wilson and Mr. Brunssen.