Sunday, June 21, 2009

500 Miles to Memphis

Since I started school in Champaign, I've been wanting to just keep going to Memphis (the road signs say Champaign 85 miles, Memphis 482 or something like that). Today, I kept going to Memphis. Sure, it's not a spontaneous sort of crazy Memphis trip, it's for work, but here I am. Took about 8 hours from Tinley, four states to drive through, and two food/bathroom stops with a lot of singing to the radio and listening to stand-up.

Best thing I saw along the way was a family (older grandpa type, teenaged boy, man (dad), woman (mom) and another younger son in a very old yellow bug car. Grandpa was down the road a bit waving traffic away from the right lane of the road, the mom was sitting in the passenger seat, all three men were running and pushing the car (once the car was rolling and the sons were in a jog, I saw dad jump in to steer. Unfortunately, I had to keep driving to see if they all got in the car, or what was going to happen to the older man waving traffic away, but I could not help but think of Little Miss Sunshine. I laughed quite a bit and hope they got their car driving with all family members in it shortly after I saw them.

Drove through Arkansas for the first time today, and I think it rivals North Dakota in desolate-ness. There were barely any cars, no exits, no street lights, and very very dark. Thankfully I stopped in southern Illinois for gas and had plenty, because if not, I don't think I would have found any in Arkansas.

Staying at a Fairfield Inn this week, very typical. Free everything, comfortable, not fancy rooms. I think I'm going to go to Graceland since I'm here, but anything else cool to do in Memphis (or at least if not cool, touristy?) Mackin suggested Beale Street for food and music. Any other ideas? It's supposed to be around 100 degrees all week, so we'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I hope it's not too late for you to get this, but try to eat at Interstate BBQ... I've been told by many people they have Memphis' best BBQ. I blogged about it here: http://rae-does-contiki.blogspot.com/2008/06/you-cant-predict-open-road.html, and you can see the picture. It felt like it was in a seedy area of town but the food was delicious. (My friend, Eric, who was with me said it has to be good if business men are sitting next to truckers having their meal.)

Beth Robie said...

Aw... we use to talk about driving to Memphis all the time! We'll still do it sometime... maybe. I'm back from San Diego and back to work :(