Thursday, August 27, 2009

Clinton, IL

I think the most ironic part of this week is until Tuesday when we did a quick drive of the area, I had no idea I had worked here before, and done sampling for Red Burrito. Once I saw said Red Burrito/Hardees I realized I had worked a day here a few years back sampling chips and salsa with Amy and did some antique shopping where I bought Jenna a very old camera for her graduation.

Anyway, I'm back again, this time for a week. Second Clinton on the road so far. This one in Illinois, last time in Iowa. The town is small, but has a good variety of things in it for a small town. I love that it has a town square and it's so easy to imagine how it used to look 100 years ago. I'm staying at the Sunset Inn and Suites, which is probably most known for it's fantasy suites. I am staying a normal, king sized, non-smoking room, and it's pretty nice. I wasn't expecting much from a hotel with fantasy suites and physical keys for the doors, but the room and lobby is very clean, comfortable bed, flat screen tv, microwave/fridge, free breakfast and internet, and nice pool/hot tub/sauna. My only negatives are no key cards, but it has a dead bolt so I feel safe enough, and the towels don't smell the freshest. The regular rate is more expensive than I can afford, but they have a cheaper rate if they don't fully clean your room and only change the towels and garbage. I recommend the cheaper way, since the only real difference is making the bed and it saves $15 a night.

I was able to spend two nights in Champaign this week, one overnight in my old townhouse complex I just left and one short night in my old apartment building I lived in for two years. It was very strange being in both places I've left behind with new tenants, old friends, living there. It brought back a lot of memories from Champaign life that I've forgotten a bit now that I'm up in Chicago, but it was a good way to spend some time this week. I think Champaign will always be familiar and a second home to me. Or at least for the next few years. I'm sure once I know no one there anymore Champaign will be that town I lived in a long time ago.

As a sidenote, I hear a lot of people looking to do my job/are interviewing/are on the road read my blog. Leave me a comment and say hi. No offense to Rachael, but the only comments I get are from her, sometimes Mackin or Beth, and various companies who I happen to mention. Another new town in Illinois next week! Let's see how cool Western is...

No comments: