Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ann Arbor Hot Spots

I have not been out and about in Ann Arbor nearly as much as I should be, mostly because I'm tired all the time and go from the store back to the hotel and back again.

However, I have a few favorite spots thus far, and hope to add some by the end of the stay.

1. Nichols Arboretum . Very pretty 100+ acre gardens, river, trails, and lovely spot on campus. Watch the canoe-ers go by and laugh as they get stuck or sit and read a book for an hour.

2. Charley's (I think it's Good Time Charley's or something like that) is a restaurant/bar that have had good food both times we've had dinner there. I still need to try the 64 oz Long Island, but they have a decent selection of beer as well. Whatever blue shot I had was also good (even though it was blue).

3. The Blue Leprechaun is a new bar, but seems to be a pretty happening spot (Michael Phelps was there the night I didn't go out) and was a good mix of classy and collegy.

4. The campus itself has the same feel as U of I, so I guess it feels pretty homey to me. Driving around campus sucks and people walk wherever the hell they feel like it, but there's a good mix of older town feel and trendy college areas.

5. If you're going to stay around these parts, the Residence Inn really is awesome. They do your grocery shopping for you for free, internet, printing, free breakfast and dinner as well. Only complaint thus far is they were closing the hot tub literally as we were in our swimsuits, book in hand, walked down there, and they were draining it for the season. Oh, and they almost always have cookies sitting out at the front desk.


I still need to hit up Blimpie Burger, which was apparently on Diners, Drive-In, and Dives. Not sure what other spots are a must go-to here, but plan to find some.

Turning left in Michigan sucks.

No comments: