Thursday, March 19, 2009

Joplin, Missouri


Back to civilization, 80 degrees warmer than last week, and in southwestern Missouri. Drove down Route 66 for awhile, saw the Arch in St. Louis, drove a long way through Missouri with lots of Jesus signs, and here we are on the border of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas.

Staying at the Holiday Inn here in Joplin. Nice, but older. My room is really small so I can't give a very fair review since I have zero sink space and have to balance my make-up, brush, and other supplies on the toilet and rack over the toilet, but other than that it's nice. Beds are decent, nice lobby, older but ok fitness center, and very average business center. They do have an indoor pool, hot tub, outdoor pool, room service, bar, manager's reception which I haven't been to, and free internet. I can hear everything in the hall from my room. The loudest people are not the guests, but the staff. They are doing housekeeping until 5pm every day or after and yell down the halls. I got back today at 5pm and my room was still not made up and they are still screaming down the halls at 7:15pm and complaining. It's pretty annoying.

On St. Patrick's Day we went to some bars on Main Street/Joplin which were fun and had live bands. Within the first five minutes of the first one we saw a bar fight be broken up by a huge man in a kilt and a very intoxicated little person. When on Monday we asked the guy at Olive Garden where to go in town, he recommended the Buffalo Wild Wings...exciting.

This is also the location of where they do a show called Trick My Truck, a Pimp My Ride, but for trucks, that plays on CMT. I have not heard of this show.

Next six weeks include more Missouri, Kansas, and Indianapolis. Thank goodness it's getting warm again. I didn't realized I missed going outside without a coat.

No comments: