Thursday, March 26, 2009

KC: Part 2

KC Food:

We've gone to quite a few restaurants in the area, so I wanted to share my thoughts on them quickly.

Chefburger: Good lunch place. A great variety of burgers to get and they were pretty tasty.

Gordon Biersch Brewery and Restaurant: This is a chain but I have never heard of it before. I've been on a sangria kick lately, and they had very good sangria. Food was moderately priced and pretty standard.

Fiorelli's Jack Stack: This is one of the BBQ places to hit in KC we were told. There are a few locations, and we went to the one by Union Station. I really enjoyed the ribs I got, although was kind of unsure about the cheesy corn. It tasted more like soup than corn. The bbq sauce was really good (I didn't try the spicy one, but the standard had a good flavor). The portions were huge and I wish I had a fridge in the hotel room to bring back the leftovers. This wasn't one of the "down home" bbq places in the area, but definitely good food that wasn't too pricey.

Flying Saucer: We tried to eat here twice, but couldn't find a place to sit. Apparently it's popular.

Maker's Mark Bourbon House and Lounge: This was probably the best meal I've had this week. Steak on Tuesday was half off so I got a Kansas City Strip, mashed potatoes, and loaded baked potato soup. It was all awesome. Everything was really fresh and was excellent. However, this place was really expensive. If the steak wasn't half off, it'd have to be a really special occasion to go there for dinner. I didn't try any bourbons, but they had plenty to choose from.

There were a few others I can't remember the name of or that are not in my brochure on the Power and Light district.

KC Arts:

I saw Phantom of the Opera at the Music Hall on Wednesday. The show was a Broadway Across America show and was a great performance. The Music Hall was a nice place to see a show, but the seats in the balcony were positioned so there was a person seated directly in front of you, not on any angle. Once the lights went down, you could see a ton of people and switching seats (it wasn't sold out) in order to see better. The actors were great, had awesome voices, and was probably one of the best touring shows I've seen. There was no one weak actor that is so typical with touring casts. The costumes and scenery were beautiful. The special effects were done well. I'm glad I knew the story already though, because I think I would have been a little confused at parts if I didn't. They seemed to rush the beginning a lot which made it fast-paced, but I think it lost some of the backstory.

Good week in KC, but glad to be heading home tomorrow. Back to Missouri in a couple weeks.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

We have a GB Brewery in Columbus but I have yet to go. Do you recommend? I hear Phantom is a great show... I'm jealous you got to go. Hope the road is treating you well. I hear a lot of the midwest is flooding from the melted snow. Steer clear of that!

KBrock said...

Yeah, GB Brewery was good. Pretty generic, but a nice dinner out and they had a good variety of food and alcohol. Luckily I got out of KC before the snow hit...it's the end of March and blizzards are going on again!